OPEN CALL AUDITIONS FOR
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
By William Shakespeare
Playing April 13-29, 2018 (Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m.; Sundays at 2:00 p.m.)
Directed by James Reed
William Shakespeare’s wildly popular masterpiece comes magically to life like you’ve never seen it before! The woods outside Athens are a busy place on one amazing night. Four runaway lovers find themselves smack bang in the middle of a feud between the King and Queen of the fairies, and, as if that wasn’t enough, a troupe of amateur actors are trying to rehearse a play. Between these unlikely groups flies Puck, armed only with a wicked sense of humor and a love potion capable of making anyone fall for the first person they set eyes upon. What could possibly go wrong? Rated PG.
OPEN CALL AUDITION DATES:
Sunday, February 18, 2018 OR Monday, February 19, 2018
6:30 p.m.: Children auditioning for fairies
7:30 p.m.: Adults
CALLBACKS (by invitation only): Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Showbiz Theatre Company, 1744 Pacific Ave, Stockton (please enter through the front door)
AUDITION INFO: Bring your theatre resume with previous experience and a photo of yourself (does not have to be a professional headshot) and know/bring your conflict schedule through April 29. Be prepared to read scenes from the play. Please wear clothing that allows movement, running and climbing. Note: First read-through is Sunday, February 25 at 6:30 p.m. Rehearsals begin Monday, February 26 at 6:30 p.m.
All roles are available and all are welcome!
ROLES (Character Breakdown and Suggested Age)
- Theseus (male 45 & older) The Duke of Athens, has recently won a war against the Amazons, and to reward himself for his victory is going to marry their queen Hippolyta, whether she likes it or not.
- Egeus (male 45 and older) A courtier at Theseus’s court and Hermia’s father.
- Lysander (male 18-25) A young man of Athens, of good family and fortune.
- Demetrius (male 18-25) Not the most admirable of young men. Having wooed Helena and won her heart, he shifts his attentions to Hermia, who will have none of him, but whose father favors him.
- Philostrate (male or female 35 & older) Theseus’s Master of the Revels. The Duke sends him to encourage everybody in Athens to celebrate his wedding and have a festive time during the four days leading up to the ceremony.
- Hippolyta (female 45 & older) Queen of the Amazons. Defeated in battle by Theseus, she is now betrothed to him.
- Hermia (female 18-25) Egeus’s daughter. In love with Lysander, she refuses to marry Demetrius despite the threat of death for her refusal.
- Helena (female 18 -25) A young lady of Athens. She was wooed by Demetrius and remains obsessively, even masochistically in love with him.
- Peter Quince (male or female 30 & older) A carpenter with literary pretensions who organizes some fellow workers into preparing a play he has written to present to Theseus and Hippolyta on their wedding day (in which he presents the Prologue).
- Bottom (male 30 & older) A weaver, is a take-charge sort of fellow, and a great stage ham who wishes to play all the parts he can in Quince’s play.
- Flute (male 18-25) A bellows-mender, a young man whose facial hair is only just beginning to grow. His voice may be unbroken.
- Snout (male or female 25 and older) A tinker cast as Pyramus’s father and the Wall in Quince’s play.
- Snug (male or female 25 & older) A joiner. Not the most quick-witted of fellows, and is therefore cast as the lion to avoid his having to learn lines.
- Starveling (male or female 25 & older) The tailor who portrays Moonshine in Quince’s play.
- Oberon (male 30 & older) King of Fairies. Proud, angry, and vengeful, he quarrels with Titania for the sake of a changeling boy, and on being refused decides to humiliate her into obedience.
- Titania (female 30 & older) Queen of Fairies. Her quarrel with Oberon disturbs nature, but in memory of her votaress she still refuses to give up the boy who is at the quarrel’s root.
- Puck (boy or girl 10 – 16) Also called Robin Goodfellow, is an amoral prankster of a spirit. Oberon’s jester, he delights in practical jokes, transforming Bottom for a lark and making him the object of Titania’s love.
- Peaseblossom (boy or girl 10 – 16) A fairy of Titania’s court. Commanded by Titania, & one of the ones to attend on Bottom.
- Cobweb (boy or girl 10 – 16) A fairy of Titania’s court. Commanded by Titania, & one of the ones to attend on Bottom.
- Moth (boy or girl 10 – 16) A fairy of Titania’s court. Commanded by Titania, & one of the ones to attend on Bottom.
- Mustardseed (boy or girl 10 – 16) A fairy of Titania’s court. Commanded by Titania, & one of the ones to attend on Bottom.
For more information: Call (209) 938-0447, e-mail email@example.com, or message us on Facebook.